Freeze-dried raw pet food is growing in popularity, in spite of the higher price, and more and more companies are coming out with freeze-dried options. Why? Because freeze-dried pet food offers all the advantages of raw without the negatives. Many consider raw food to be the ideal diet choice for dogs and cats because it is fresh, non-processed food that is rich in vitamins, enzymes and bio-nutrients. Benefits include a decrease in allergies, less itchiness, odorless breath, improved energy, and less poop!!
Here are some reasons you might want to give freeze-dried a try.
- It’s healthier. Dogs and cats do best on a diet high in animal protein and low in starch/carbohydrates. Dry kibble inherently contains more starch and carbohydrates than many pet owners prefer. Raw foods from quality companies are usually about 80% animal protein and don’t include any added fillers. However, raw food can sometimes be harder to digest, which is beneficial for building a strong digestive tract in a young or otherwise healthy pet, however, for certain pets this may present a challenge. The freeze-drying process makes it easier on the digestive tract of a pet that is older or if you are transitioning your pet to a raw diet.
- There’s minimal processing. Dry kibble is usually processed at very high temperatures, which destroys many of the important nutrients. Freeze-dried pet food is frozen raw food with the moisture removed by applying vacuum pressure. This retains the vitamins, enzymes and minerals found in the fresh, raw food and is free of artificial additives and preservatives.
- It’s easy to use when traveling. If you find yourself on the road a lot and tend to take your pup everywhere you go, then freeze-dried food definitely meets your needs. You can easily pack it into your luggage or bag without adding much weight at all, then whip it out and have it ready quickly. It can be re-hydrated, but it doesn’t require refrigeration.
- Dogs love it. Not all freeze-dried food looks appetizing to humans, but most dogs, and some cats, tend to eat just about anything that smells interesting to them. They aren’t likely to turn their nose up to a bowl of freeze-dried goodness; even the most finicky of pets are probably going to give it a try. Plus, it comes in a variety of different protein sources, so you’re sure to find something that works.
- Use it as a topper. Freeze-dried food is more expensive than kibble or frozen raw. To keep the cost down, many pet parents are not necessarily using it as a complete meal, but as a topper, mix-in or treat alongside their regular dry food. It’s an ideal way to add a punch of high-quality nutrition.
In short, freeze-dried pet foods are very versatile and provide a healthy and convenient way to incorporate the benefits of raw food into your pet’s diet.